La vieja historia de la seducción, en un escenario insólito. El Convento do Beato fue construído en el siglo XV en un lugar en donde había anteriormente una capillita dedicada a São Bento. I El nombre proviene de un monje llamado Antonio, responsable de la ampliación del Convento y de su embellecimiento, en el siglo XVI, y a quien la gente tenía por santo.
Comentarios » Ir a formulario
Autor: Ambrósio Pereira
Convento do Beato was built in the XVth century in the very same place where once was a small chapel devoted to São Bento. Its history dates back to 1455 when QueenD.
Isabel, wife of D. Afonso V, got permission from the abott of the Monastery of Alcobaça to build a hospice for the "Bons Homens de Vilar" (GoodMen of Vilar). They belonged to the congregation of the "Frades Azuis" or "Loios" (loios or bluemonks).
When the Queen died, a legacy of 8.000golden crowns was left to pay for the completion of the work.
The building later became a Convent.Almost a century later, Canon António da Conceição (1520-1602), a monk, was appointed to plan an extension of the existing Convent, which was to be named after him. The most beautiful Portuguese marbles were used in its construction,combining exquisite varieties, such as white andpink ones.
Having died in 1602, António was spontaneously raised to sainthood by the populace, becoming known as Beato António, and his magnificent project as the Convento do Beato.
Thanks to its solid structure, the convent withstood the great earthquake of 1755.Late in the XVIIIth century, one of the wings of the Convent was used as aRoyal Military Hospital. After the religious orders were abolished and the church profaned, the Convent suffered an enormous fire that partly destroyed it.
Nearly brought to ruins, the Convent ended up deprived of its images, liturgical implements, carved works and other magnificent treasures and ornaments. The stone structure (XVIth-XVIIIth centuries, with a surviving gothic arch from the XVth century) and most of the doors (made of Brazilian hard wood), nevertheless survived.
In 1834 the businessman João de Brito bought most of the ruined buildings to settle there a modernfactory. It was here that a steam-powered mill was used for the first time in Portugal.The old Convent was part of the factory until the 1970's, when the restoration works began. Part of the façade was destroyed in 2004 by a fire.
The once again restored building reopened for special events in May 2005.
Fecha: 03/09/2006 11:55.
Autor: Administrador del blog
Fecha: 04/09/2006 15:18.